Skip to main content
Department of Sociology and Anthropology Home

Department of Sociology and Anthropology News

The Sociology of Hip-Hop: Freshmen Present Research Findings

Freshmen Kelly Darden (left) and Alfred Anderson at the Southeastern Undergraduate Sociology Symposium at Emory University with Emory's Department of Sociology Chair Karen Hegtvedt.

Freshmen Alfred Anderson and Kelly Darden met last summer as classmates in the university’s Summer START program that helps incoming students make the transition from high school to college. Anderson and Darden are making that transition with flying colors. The two freshmen are just back from presenting a research paper — “Hip-Hop: A Societal Misunderstanding” — at the Southeastern Undergraduate Sociology Symposium at Emory University.

“It is very unusual for first year students to present papers at a research symposium,” says Emily Estrada, their instructor for Principles of Sociology last summer. “But they were both strong students and they had worked hard to put their paper together. I wanted to give them an opportunity to take it to the next level.”

Estrada encouraged the students to pull together an abstract and apply to present at the symposium. “They were excited about the prospect, and they practiced and prepared,” she says. “I had every confidence they would represent NC State well. I am beyond proud of them.”

Darden and Anderson’s presentation grew out of a paper they wrote in their English 101 class last summer, and a presentation they gave for both their English and sociology classes. That topic—about the misconceptions the general public has toward hip-hop and rap lyrics—is better understood when seen in a sociological context, Darden says. “What most people fail to realize is that mainstream hip-hop does not represent the entirety of the culture. The stereotypes that are portrayed put African Americans in a negative light. In fact, hip-hop consists of a variety of topics that embody struggles of past generations.”

Darden says the experience of attending the symposium left Anderson and him both exhausted and energized. “There were students there representing states from Connecticut to California,” he says. “We were the only freshmen there, as far as I could tell. We got good feedback, and were encouraged to submit our work for conferences at Princeton and Harvard, among others. Our topic is not widely covered.

“I’m glad our professor suggested we participate. It gave us an opportunity to expose others to our work. It was definitely worth the effort.”

11 responses on “The Sociology of Hip-Hop: Freshmen Present Research Findings

1. Renee Darden says:

Im proud of the efforts of Kelly and Alfred.
    It means so much to see two bright young men
    continue to be diligent in theirs efforts.
    Love to my son Kelly Lee Darden III

2. Tony says:

Great job and congratulations Kelly & Alfred!

3. Alfred Anderson Sr. says:

What a great accomplishment Alfred and Kelly! You should both be so proud. Keep up the good work.

1. Betsy Alexieff says:

I am beyond proud! You two guys are great, in AND out of the classroom. Keep on “making it happen” in all you do! 🙂 I know you will.

4. Hanan Barrett says:

Go Nephew, I am so proud of you. Go Kelly, Go Kelly! God bless and keep up the good work. Auntie loves you!

5. Dede Carney says:

LOVED the fact that two young energetic, bright young men are using their talents in such a positive and inspiring way! Thanks to NCSU for the Summer Start Program which forged the friendship & now partnership between these two; Kudos to the parents for raising them with their heads on right 🙂 and keep on keeping on to Kelly & Alfred – we are all so proud of you! Can’t wait to read your work – you have me intrigued. Where can I find it?
    Thanks,
    Dede Carney

6. Ashley Anderson says:

Congratulations!I’m so proud of my brother(Alfred) and Kelly!It’s great to see you both take something you’re interested in and develop it in a way that is unique and thought provoking. You two should definitely continue to work with this topic, there’s no limit to what you can accomplish!

7. Dante Anderson says:

Excellent job Gentlemen. I expect you to continue down this path. Much love to my nephew Alfred Anderson!

8. Bob Wallace says:

Congratulations!!! Alfred and Kelly you have laid a foundation of scholarship and perserverance that will last you a lifetime. I am so proud of you young men. Alfred, you are extending a family tradition. The sky is the limit!!

9. Beverlee Young says:

Congratulations to cousin Kelly and Alfred! What an accomplishment! The future is full of success for you both! You make us proud!

10. Anonymous says:

Kelly & Alfred, congratulations! You should be very proud of yourselves and all you have accomplished during your first year at NC State! Kelly, I’m glad that you will serve as a Resident Advisor on our staff next year, and am thrilled that residents will benefit from you role modeling what student success looks like!

Kathleen Ruppe, University Housing

Leave a Response

Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.